MacConection.com

     The "NEW" iPad "SPECIAL PRICE" CLICK BELOW

EXCLUSIVE OFFER

SPECIAL 10% OFF
        [*Save 10% on Duracell Powerpacks, Battery Chargers, Power Inverters and more at DuracellDirect.com!*]

Follow Me to Stay Current

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Joe Paterno FIRED from Penn State over Sandusky - Issues Statement

If you suspected someone were sexually abusing children, how far would you go to stop it?







UPDATE:11/10/11- This is a statement from Joe Paterno issued after he was FIRED! ©2011 (All Rights Reserved)

"I am disappointed with the Board of Trustees' decision, but I have to accept it.
A tragedy occurred, and we all have to have patience to let the legal process proceed. I appreciate the outpouring of support but want to emphasize that everyone should remain calm and please respect the university, its property and all that we value.
I have been incredibly blessed to spend my entire career working with people I love. I am grateful beyond words to all of the coaches, players and staff who have been a part of this program. And to all of our fans and supporters, my family and I will be forever in your debt."
Earlier Wednesday, Paterno released a statement saying he planned to retire at the end of the season:
"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.
I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.
That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

UPDATE 11/9/11-  STATEMENT from Joe Paterno "right now im not the coach. And after 61 years I have to get used to that." A 10 p.m. press conference, the board of trustees voted Joe Paterno and school president Dr. Graham Spanier out, FIRED, from Penn State University over the Sandusky scandal. Reports that Joe was NOT informed of the firing in person, just a phone call!

MASSIVE PROTEST GOING ON NOW ON BEAVER AVE. Penn State

UPDATE:11/9/11- Scott Paterno keeps talking to anyone and everyone about his Dad, Joe Paterno. Last night at the rally outside JoPa's home he said to the crowd.“Say a prayer,” he told them, “and then please, feel free to cheer, feel free to show your support, but let’s remember ... to show support for the victims first.”
Here is a video of Scott speaking to the media about the status of his father's job on Tuesday Nov.8,2011 outside a home in State College.(click here to see video).
Also Reports that University President (1995 – 2011) Graham Spanier will be OUT as of latter tonight. It is said he has already submitted his resignation. The board of trustees are meeting now.

UPDATE: 11/9/11- Legendary Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno will retire at the end of the season, he said Wednesday in a statement.

“I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.  
I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.
That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this  as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.”
  
Joseph Vincent "Joe" Paterno "JoPa" (born December 21, 1926) in Brooklyn, New York to a family of Italian ancestry is embroiled in an alleged coverup of a sex-abuse scandal at Penn State involving former defensive coordinator and onetime heir apparent Jerry Sandusky, who was indicted on charges of sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years.

Joe Paterno came to Penn State in 1950 as a 23-year-old assistant coach making $3,600 a year. He became the head coach in 1966.

The grand jury's findings list eight boys that Sandusky allegedly victimized, in 40 separate incidents, over a 15-year period from 1994-2009, before and after he retired from coaching.
 
The Pennsylvania state police commissioner said Joe Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement when he relayed to university administrators that a graduate assistant, Mike McQueary — now the team’s wide receivers coach, had seen on March 1, 2002, that Jerry Sandusky attacking a young boy in the team’s locker-room shower. But the commissioner also questioned whether Paterno had a moral responsibility to do more.
Paterno & Sandusky
McQueary first contacted his father before calling Paterno the next morning, then meeting at Paterno’s home.

Paterno called athletic director Tim Curley the next day to tell him that McQueary had seen Sandusky “in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.”

What did President Graham Spanier know and when?  How could President Spanier sign a 2002  ‘ban’ of Sandusky bringing children into facilities, and not ask why?  Why was that ban never enforced? A grand jury investigation is launched in 2008 into sexual child abuse allegations against Sandusky, yet he still has access to an office at Penn State and was even on campus just a week ago.

Statement from President Graham Spanier:

Graham Spanier

Saturday, November 5, 2011

"The allegations about a former coach are troubling, and it is appropriate that they be investigated thoroughly. Protecting children requires the utmost vigilance.

With regard to the other presentments, I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support. I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years. I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee.


Tim Curley and Gary Schultz operate at the highest levels of honesty, integrity and compassion. I am confident the record will show that these charges are groundless and that they conducted themselves professionally and appropriately."



Statement from Coach Joe Paterno:

"If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters, While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred."

At age 84 and with 46 seasons as the Penn State head coach behind him, Paterno’s extraordinary run of success — one that produced tens of millions of dollars for the school and two national championships, and that established him as one of the nation’s most revered leaders, will end with a stunning and humiliating final chapter.

The New York Times reported Tuesday November 8, 2011 that Penn St. Nittany Lions head coach Joe Paterno is on the way out, possibly as soon as some time within the next few days. The school's board of trustees has a scheduled meeting for Friday, which Pennsylvania's governor is supposed to attend.

The Associated Press reports a decision could be made even before then on Paterno's future:
 The person is familiar with the trustees' discussions but says it's unclear what the consequences for Paterno will be. The person says a decision could be at hand before the board meets Friday.

Paterno's son Scott has denied the Times report, saying Paterno's retirement hasn't been discussed and that he will coach this Saturday's game against Nebraska.


Sandusky, Curley, Schultz
Penn State senior vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley surrendered on charges that they failed to alert police to the complaint about Sandusky.

Schultz and Curley are also charged with lying to the state grand jury that indicted Sandusky. Both stepped down from their posts Sunday, Curley taking a temporary leave and Schultz retiring. They appeared Monday in a Harrisburg courtroom, where a judge set bail at $75,000. They weren’t required to enter pleas.

Pennsylvania attorney general Linda Kelly said Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refused to say the same for university president Graham Spanier.
“All I can say is, again, I’m limited to what’s contained in the presentment, and that this is an ongoing investigation,” Kelly said.

This is an egregious coverup of a very sick individual, if the allegation's are proven true. The responsibility is on everyone who knew anything about this and did either just enough or tried to sweep it away. The fact he was still on campus yesterday in the weight room with Penn State football players speaking to the teams wide receivers is sickening. 

While Joe Paterno did report the matter to his supervisor fulfilling his legal requirements under Pennsylvania law should he have done more? To me more blame falls on Penn State President Graham Spanier. The buck stops at that University with HIM! 

But now, BOTH must go. SHAME on ALL involved and on PENN STATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment